Saturday, March 26, 2011

GETTIN' MY LEARN ON

Recently I've been addicted to watching documentaries.  I've watched some that were horrible... that I had to turn off after 5 minutes and others that I can watch over and over again.

It's sometimes frustrating, you know often watching a documentary you are really only hearing one side of the story but lets be honest... I'm most likely not going to agree with that side anyways!  I think I've been taught that knowing the full story can help you make more informed decisions... yada yada... It's not my intention to be preachy so...

Here are a few documentaries that I've found really interesting!

The September Issue - A look into all the work involved in the publication of the September Issue of Vouge... the leading trend setter in the fashion industry.  You hear all sorts of things about Anna Wintour (did you see or read The Devil Wears Prada?) and well... you get to hear her side and see it.  I thought it was very interesting...

Food Inc. - I have watched so many of these films... and my friends are probably sick of hearing about our food industry from me... but I can't help but be moved by these documentaries.  I feel like they are helping to bring to light some big issues that may be easily hidden from people... people who deserve to know what they are eating and feeding their families and where their food comes from.  Again being preachy but this is something I feel really strongly about and hope to keep learning more and educating myself so I can make decisions that I feel are right for my health and the health of my family. (End rant... but let me know if you are interested because there are tons of other great films and books out there!)

Cocaine Cowboys - CRAZY story about the rise of the cocaine trade and the violence it brought to Miami in the late 70's and 80's... about the connection to Columbia and how it all worked (in great detail) and how Miami was built and benefited because of the drug money.  And it also talks about how it all crashed down.  But the tales are just incredible... and the way the people talk about it is almost sickening... romanticizing about all the drugs, the money and greed and the death of so many people.  A film we've watched numerous times...

Enron - The Smartest Guys in the Room - Mr. D and I agree that no matter how many times we've seen this we can always watch it again.  I think the idea that this actually happened is unreal.  And that they were able to get away with this fake business is just... it's insane.  And the all the money... billions of dollars.  I feel like every time I watch it I learn a little bit more about these large business and their interesting ways of disguising the books and their connection to the government all while touting deregulation.  I shouldn't judge but it should sicken you, if you are any sort of human being... lol!

Visual Acoustics - This documentary is for the architects, designers and photographers out there that have studied so many modern buildings and their photographs.  It is about the life work of Julius Shulman, a photographer who's known as the worlds greatest architectural photographer.  His photos helped popularize Modern architecture in America and his images have really become pieces of art in the eyes of many.   

Hope you will watch some of these when you have some time to spare...

XOXO

No comments: