Monday, November 15, 2010

ROAD TRIP!

Screen shot from Design*Sponge

Well, not sure it can be called a true road trip... only a mere 85 miles way.  Mr. D has given me the task of planning a short trip to Milwaukee!  A job I lovingly take on. Milwaukee is no longer just a beer and manufacturing town... the city has grown it's culture and diversity and boasts a strong restaurant scene, a growing indie and art following and of course great boutique shops, all while holding on to its roots.

When we travel there are a couple of websites that I (and Mr. D) like to look at, aside from the typical sites such as Yahoo Travel or Trip Advisor (which is great!).

I always go to Design*Sponge, they have some great City Guides that are written by locals who know where the great spots in town are... where to eat, what to see, where to shop and how to live like a local.  Every week they are adding more and more cities so I always go to see if they have our travel destination.

Mr. D always goes to Guy Fieri's Tripple D website... one of his main goals is to eat good food.  So in the past we've relied on Guy to find us some good spots, and he's done a pretty good job!

So for this trip, I've decided that I'd like to got to:

  • MAM, I must see the architectural wonder that was designed by Calatrava.
  • The Home Market, get a little shopping in... we will be driving so the possibilities are endless. :)
  • Maybe spend early evening wine tasting at Balzac.
  • And another evening tasting local beers at Lakefront Brewery.
  • I must also take a quick peek inside of Milwaukee's newest hospital project on Lakefront Drive, Columbia St. Mary's. It was a project I worked on while at HOK and this would be the perfect opportunity to hop on in and take a look see!
  • Must also find a local art shop so I can pick up a small piece to remember our trip by...
  • Maybe we could rent some bicycles and ride through Kettle Moraine State Forest
I now have some more planning to do!  Go check out Design*Sponge's City Guides... they are really great!

XOXO

2 comments:

Angie said...

I LOVE Design*Sponge! What a great find.

Designer Jules said...

I have wanted to go to the MAM ever since I saw that Design*Sponge post about it.